As a whole, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) of this Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you
- Have already been a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the very least three years
- Have already been surviving in marital union using the U.S. that is same citizen during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this section
In a few situations, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for naturalization irrespective of their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under section b that is 319( for the INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces members, see our people of the Military and their own families web web page. Additionally for details about learning to be a resident that is permanent petitioning for family unit members, please check out our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Demands
An applicant must to be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA
- Be 18 or older
- Be considered a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the very least three years instantly preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Are staying in marital union with all the U.S. resident partner, that has been a U.S. resident during each of such duration, throughout the three years instantly preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment in the application
- Have lived in the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction throughout the applicant’s spot of residence, for at the least a few months ahead of the date of filing the program
- Have actually constant residence in the us as a lawful permanent resident for at minimum 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the applying
- Live continuously in the usa from the date of application for naturalization before the period of naturalization
- Be physically present in the usa for at the very least 1 . 5 years out from the 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Manage to read, compose, and talk English and possess knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. history and federal government (also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of good character that is moral connected to the concepts of this Constitution of this usa, and well disposed to your good purchase and joy for the united states of america during all appropriate durations underneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of a U.S. resident who’s utilized by the U.S. federal government, like the armed forces, or any other qualifying boss, whose partner is planned to be stationed abroad this kind of work for at the least one year during the time of filing, might be entitled to naturalization under section b that is 319( associated with the INA.
As a whole, a partner of a U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to a legal admission for permanent residence during the time of examination regarding the naturalization application and also at enough time of asian mail order bride naturalization, and meet of all the needs in the above list except that:
- No certain duration as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (however the partner needs to be a permanent resident)
- No particular amount of constant residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No particular amount of marital union is needed; but, the partners needs to be in a legitimate wedding at enough time of filing before the time of naturalization.
Note: you have to additionally establish you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and.